Monday, July 25, 2011

Top Ten Things You Thought You'd Never Say-Nepal Edition

10. "I think I pulled my groin on a mango…"-Kara Luebbering in reference to playing soccer with street kids at a local park.
9. "We've accumulated quite the crowd of middle age Nepali men…I don't know whether to be flattered or creeped out."-Me in reference to also playing volleyball with the street kids at the same local park.
8. "What do you think of America?"-Chris from APU's resource team to some foreigners "Meat, cheese, and oil."-The response.
7. "No tiger balm, no hash, no rickshaw, no taxi, no money, NO THANK YOU."-All of us…constantly.
6. "I literally just stopped a bike with my hand."-Sarah Snodgrass while grazed by a bicycle while exiting a taxi.
5. "Well I rode on my first scooter today…I only hit one person! She was standing still…"-Sarah Snodgrass.
4. "You raid brothels and you bake chocolate melting cakes?!"-Chris from APU regarding Jeff-investigative head of Tiny Hands Security and all-around BA.
3. "You guys missed it, something happened and then there was a swarm of monkeys that all came to the one side and then one swiped at me!"-Mike in reference to a filming attempt at the Monkey Temple.
2. "Did you check out those goats on top of that bus-like where the people normally sit on top-there were goats!"-Sarah Snodgrass on our way back from playing with street kids.
1. "I'm all goat-cheesed out."-Mike missing his good ol' mozzarella and cheddar.

Hope you enjoy :) There are 1000 more that happen daily but I can't remember them all.

Real Top Ten:
10. I've seen Harry Potter twice now. Can't get over a huge bucket of popcorn for 100 rupees aka $1.50.
9. I played my first game of Mafia when I was finally not a townsperson and finally a mafia member and WON because I'm so cunning and sly :)
8. Nepal is so beautiful when you are able to simply enjoy it for what it is. Unfortunately so often the pollution and trash cloud this view (and smell).
7. I can finally navigate the streets around our hotel…which is a huge accomplishment, I assure you.
6. Sarah and I just realized we will be home in one week and 4 days. Not only is this insane, but makes me extremely sad because I don't know when I'll see everyone again.
5. After a 30 min. cab ride and a bit of asking for directions, Mike and I finally made it to an "Apple" store only to see that my computer MAGICALLY TURNED ON. I guess it just needed the power of the Mac store. God answered my prayers in a very literal way and I could not be more thankful.
4. Also on this trip Mike successfully managed to cause a traffic jam in a verrry narrow street. Very scary traffic control woman was not very happy with us.
3. APU's resource team and the teacher's team who have both been with us for the time we have been here have now both left. Makes me so sad and a little lonely not knowing we have other groups to meet up with.
2. Projects are going well! Everyone is insanely busy and it kind of seems like more just keeps piling on but it is fun work and I'm glad we get to help out as much as we can in the time we are given.
1. There are a ton of things I'm going to miss about Nepal. However, I'm more worried about becoming stagnant in my growth of knowledge of larger issues and advocacy once I'm back in the states.

All the love.

No comments:

Post a Comment