Thursday, August 4, 2011

Chhodnu


"To Leave."

Leaving a place, at any time, means making the times you were just living into memories. As we sit here in the airport, having safely made it to Qatar, I'm realizing that we're going from making memories to having memories. But the more I talk with other group members, the more I laugh about ridiculous situations that so many of us came across, the more I discuss the utter importance of the relationships we made and discussions we held...the more I am humbled by my last 6 weeks. I cannot describe how blessed I am to have had this opportunity and although it still feels quite surreal to have really left, I need to realize that coming back and letting the work, the kids, the relationships, the struggles, truly influence my actions is still a part of my trip to Nepal and that is exactly how it needs to continue.

It's hard to believe just a few days ago Sarah was frantically trying to plan out what this last week was going to look like. It still blows me away how no matter how busy you attempt to make a given period of time, when it comes time to leave it's like you saved everything for the last minute. Sunday we literally had to schedule our days out so as to not overlap meetings, events, etc. and I thought to myself "We had 6 whole weeks, some lax, some packed, and yet I've got 10 bucks on me being stressed about getting things done the last day/hours." A day sick and unable to film at the last children's home, a trip on the top of a bus to one of the most beautiful, breath-taking places I've ever been, a trip to Princess Home Jewelry, and a few goodbyes later and I'm finding myself packing/rearranging my luggage in the line at the airport. Never fails.

To be honest, I wasn't sure how I'd be feeling leaving Nepal; I wasn't sure what I'd be thinking. I knew I would be sad to leave the people who have touched my life, as it's rarely easy to do so, but regarding Nepal itself, I wondered how I'd feel. Well, I can say that it is something I could never know until it happened, as the things about Kathmandu that are so hard to explain, the things you "get used to," actually became comfortable and, in some ways, fun..


No more tiger balm, ghurka knife, hash, or rickshaw offers. After awhile you get amazingly good at saying no, and in Kara's case, saying no and then being friendly results in a free knife. No more smells. Yes, the airport might smell of air conditioning or the occasional plate of french fries, but there is almost an absence of...well, everything. The streets of Thamel have people brushing shoulders with every step. Spacial awareness is the name of the game, and the sport of getting to your next destination without running into something/someone becomes a challenge and a thrill. Every inhalation is a gamble, as you're not sure whether you'll get a scent of fresh fruit, rotting garbage, the grill at a restaurant, or just straight air pollution.
Street kids are everywhere, hitting tourist after tourist. But when you have a team of 3 college students from California (Shout out to the APU Resource Team) who's 2 months were spent forming relationships with those kids, getting to know them becomes something you look forward to each day. Getting to the point where they know you won't give them anything, but they still sit and talk, or play soccer, is something I would never have expected to be a part of this experience, but was one of the greatest on the trip. And the heat and rain are accompanied by the rolling hills that line every direction. With a little travel comes an opportunity to explore nature and wildlife in its entirety. Rhinos and monkeys astound me only to be followed by the beauty of the snow-capped Himalayas.

Nevertheless, walking into a ridiculously cold airport where the most exciting area is the security line is an interesting contrast to the world we've been living in, and when it comes down to it, I do already miss the atmosphere. Yes it may be dirty, yes it may be chaotic, but there's a thrill to the streets paired with a kindness of the people that makes every trip something new and exciting. Like I said before, there are people I will absolutely miss, people who amazed me again and again, but I know their words and their hospitality these past weeks--the impression they have made--will last a life time.


In the words of the Tashi Dhele staff (our hotel...with the greatest staff ever): "Come As a Guest, Leave As a Friend."

Here's to the trip continuing through our actions,
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment