Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Smiles All Around

Hey Everyone,


This is my first post on this wonderful blog, so I'll begin by introducing myself:


My name is Daniel and I'm going to be a senior philosophy major at Creighton University this year.


My connection to Nepal starts at a meeting for a community I was involved with my sophomore year of college. Naturally, I was a few minutes late. As luck would have it, though, my resident director Emily also came a little bit late to the meeting and sat at the same table. She pulled out a folder, laid it out on the table, and started scanning at the numbers in the spreadsheet.


I, as a curious and imposing individual, glanced over at her spreadsheet, and noticed a column labeled something to the effect of "girls intercepted"


That did not seem like the type of data a resident director would be crunching, so I gave her my best inquisitive look, and she smiled and started to explain.


18 months, a semester in the Dominican Republic, a few books, a lot of thoughtful reflection, and 19 hours in an airplane later, I am sitting in a tea house in Kathmandu, Nepal, taking a short break to check in with the blog, and preparing to travel out of the city, to a rural area, then to a border monitoring station.


Our team is wonderful, the discussions have been great, the time in the children's homes have been eye-opening; and for me, perhaps the most important aspect, has been talking with the president of Tiny Hands International and learning about the thought and energy behind making a non-government organization run as well as this one does.


Thank you for reading, and thank you for your continued support!

2 comments:

  1. Daniel, I'm so glad you got to go on this trip. I can't wait to hear all about the DR and Nepal next year! I love the picture! The kid is adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really great to read all the posts on this blog. It all sounds incredible, and I can't wait to continue reading and finally to talk to you guys when you return!!

    Be safe, have fun, and keep your eyes open!

    Alex

    ReplyDelete