Tuesday, July 5, 2011

"Ok, there are the cows, I know where we are...

…good thing we chose a moving landmark to actually recognize."-Sarah Snodgrass, group leader extraordinaire and my roommate.

Top Ten:
10. Our friend Ben in our group got hit in his open gaping mouth with dirty, trashy, monsoony water through an open window while we were in a moving van headed back to our hotel. Priceless…and his punishment for running late.
9. We became souvenirs for traveling Indian friends who were PSYCHED to see some white people.
8. While waiting for some of the group, Chris (other group member) and I were chatting about religion and faith, per usual, when we glance over to the 87 year old man in a white jumpsuit working at the lamp shop scratching down his pants quite forcefully for the entire street to see. Instant hilarity.
7. I finished the Hunger Games today while sipping some milk coffee at Himalayan Java. Boom.
6. Yesterday we adventured on what THI president, John, calls the "Magic Road" which gave the most beautiful view of the city, and it wasn't raining which was also a bonus.
5. Negative of that trip were the EXTREME potholes, narrowly terrifying roads, and the fact that my fingers went numb from gripping the headrest in front of me. This was made up for only by the blaring of Barbie Girl, Waka Waka, and various 5 year old rap music.
4. We adventured to Agape, another non-profit here in Kathmandu, which focuses on women empowerment through job training, tailoring lessons, a beauty school, English lessons, Nepali lessons, computer skills training, and restaurant management and cooking. It was absolutely amazing and I cannot wait to work with that org more.
3. I played in a futbal game today with girls from an organization, whose name shall remain confidential for safety, run by a couple from Brazil. It was absolutely amazing. The school educates women and children recused from brothels as well as the streets. Also…I kicked the futbal. Great success.
2. The hope that lies in the hearts of so many that live here is greater than I could have ever imagined. Even those who we meet in the most dire of situations have hope for their futures and hope in humanity, continuing to love and show that love. It's truly beautiful.
1. Every single day here is a challenge to me. Whether it is my faith, my morals, my ethical beliefs, my belief in others, and my hope that there are truly good people out there is constantly being tried, for the better I would say. Without a challenge there is no room to grow and without growth, one becomes comfortable, and as one of my favorite quotes says-"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone."-Neale Donald Walsch

Until more adventures...
Jaimase.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm Kara's sister, Jessica. Thank you for keeping the blog updated! I love hearing about your adventures! It sounds like you're having a great time! The photos are great too! Have a wonderful day!

    P.S. I just finished reading the Hunger Games yesterday! It was so good! I'm already halfway through the second book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I. LOVE. HUNGER GAMES. seriously. Also, your music tastes are wonderful. And I love the quote that you ended this with. a lot. LOVEyou.

    ReplyDelete