Monday, July 4, 2011

Ma Pheri Aunchu


"I'll come back." Because these children and parents made the first week of my sojourn in Nepal filled with joy, acceptance, and a sense of comfort.

5 Childrens homes in 5 days. Different children, all amazing in their own ways, but such similar places as they are so obviously held together as loving, caring families, with parents who care for them as their own.

Cyrene Home - A very small apartment-like home for street boys, ranging from ages 5 to 16. The boys transitioned from rigorously studying the five senses to being thrown around by the 4 guys of our group. Every kid knows breakdancing in some way, and when Spiderman 2 came on, every one of them resumed the "beginning of 101 Dalmations"-TV position, knowing every word. We then ate a traditional dal baht set with them, (with our hands), as we proceed to get shown up by even the smallest one, eating every bite quickly & systematically while I struggled to get keep rice between my 3 fingers.

Peace Home - Another apartment-esque place, home to more than fifteen boys and girls, ages 3 to 17, who have been abandoned or orphaned and taken in by Rutna, the most joyful man I've ever met, and his wife. After teaching them Pictionary and playing Bible Charades, we had an amazing time as Ben played a few praise and worship songs that the kids knew followed by them learning How Great is Our God. I was utterly and completely moved by our time here, as these well-behaved, loving children put their heart into the music and were overjoyed to learn a new song to sing. I promised to bring my guitar and play Mighty to Save with the boy who wants to be a singer when he grows up.

Living Home - The journey to this home took us on a few crazy bus rides, through hills, rice paddies, and villages, as we got to see the beauty of rural Nepal on the only day it hasn't rained. The children here were extremely excited to have us there, and Duck, Duck, Goose was the name of the game. We taught them Simon Says and despite us not wanting them to have to make us dinner, they insisted we at least have noodles. Gourmet Ramen would be an understatement.

Morning Star - We came to hear Bishnu's (the father of the home's) testimony, but unfortunately he forgot about a meeting he had, so after agreeing to come back another time, he instructed us to stay around and visit with the children as they would show us around. The house is much larger than all the others', but there are almost 50 children staying there, separated into a girls and boys house, all under the supervision of the parents and a few "aunts and uncles." We played basketball, saw their small but well kept library, and I was hopelessly taught how to play a Nepali drum correctly. One of the smallest boys had bruises on his fingers from practicing, but he was amazing.

One Way - This home was the second biggest, with an almost equal mix of boys and girls, and after doing introductions (they practiced English while we practiced Nepali) we played hot potato where I was fortunate enough to swing dance with Ruskan, a small boy with a stocking cap and a smile that will steal your heart. We all continued to go outside to play Fire On The Mountain and ran around, where I'm not sure who wore who out more. [Picture Above: Mother with handful of children]

Each of these homes gave me a look into the second chances organizations like Tiny Hands gives to children, and I only wish every kid had that opportunity. To see the deformities and burns that may have happened while on the street or perhaps were given to them to increase their earnings when begging was so disheartening, but each of the children were incredibly well-behaved, extremely intelligent and studious, and had attitudes about their day-to-day lives that really makes me think about my own attitude. They did more for me than I did for them, and that is without a doubt. I can't thank them enough, and each time we left I truly meant it when I said "I'll come back."

No comments:

Post a Comment